Popular Post
Recent Post

Book Review: Made In France


Hello, my daffydowndillies.

Yup, that's what the market-man called me last week. I am officially a daffydowndillly. It's a country English word for daffodil. Completely and utterly in my top ten list of words.

Now, I've been promising you a book review
for a wee while and today's the day.
I feel it in my bones.
I pronounce Mondays, Book Days.

{It might last a week, it might last two, who knows? Only time will tell how I succumb to the whims of my blog-thoughts.}



Today's book is
 Made In France:
Cross Stitch and Embroidery
in Red, White and Blue
by Murdoch books.

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, are you in for a treat!!  
Look how lovely and thick it is.
176 pages of unadulterated scrumptiousness.


This book is perfectly, and I use the word carefully, styled. Flicking through it is like looking through the pages of your favourite magazine (although not if your favourite is Computer Pro, or Scientific American, I should add...).


I don't know about you but all the books I've tried to find on cross-stitch and embroidery have generally been dated and fuddy-duddy. Bleeeurgh.


I want my craft-books to be enticing and seductive.
I want them to inspire me increase my skills.
 I want them to call me on to a better place.

This is one such book. Oh, it's sooooooo deliciously lovely.


This is the blurb on the back:

A little thread, some linen, a needle, a few easy stitches, and more than 50 pretty projects worked in cross-stitch, stem-stitch or French knots - let yourself be seduced by the simple art of embroidery. Elegant and timeless in red, white and blue, these exquisite needlecraft motifs can be used in a multitude of ways to create unique gifts and home accessories.

Oooooooh, you little temptress you.
Of course, I bought it immediately,
sucked into a whole new world of delightfulness.



And now for the science bit.
Because you're worth it. Ha.

At the start of the book, is the teaching. Clear instructions show you all the stitches and techniques you need to complete the projects. Then the rest of the book is split into three parts: red, white and blue.


The red section has a Scandinavian feel.


The white section is all natural linen with delicate white thread. Pure Modern Country.


And the blue section has a definite beachy vibe.


Each of thesechapters has the pictures of the beautiful projects at the front, styled to the nines, and then the patterns at the back.


The patterns are presented pretty basically, with literally only the odd guiding word but because of the great instructions at the start, this isn't a problem.

In fact, I think it's led me onto wanting to create my own patterns, as I don't feel rigidly bound by following strict instructions.

All in all, this book is a little slice of craft heaven. 

Buy it right now
if you know what's good for you....
see over on my sidebar?
I have a li'l Amazon shop that
you can click straight through to
if you so desire to buy this or
any of the other books I've reviewed


If you're missing your dose of Belgian Style,
Part 3 begins on Wednesday.
See you there, my daffydowndilly.

{Overkill, I know. I can't resist it.}

Oh, and thank you so much to the lovely Le, at Third On The Right for inviting me to chatter on at her blog last week.

All photos: Modern Country Style

I'm linking to my favourite parties listed in the sidebar.