Popular Post
Recent Post

Belgian Style: Make It Yours Part 1



I had a whale of a time on Friday. Did you enjoy yourself at the Inspiration Journey Link party, either as a linker or as a looker?


But, really, I think we were all lookers. So many beautiful dresses, I tell you. Goodness me, rarely have I seen so much loveliness in one place. You stunner, you. ;-)


I was going, and even started, to collate all my favourite images to show you in today's blog post but then I thought of all the prettification that I'd have to leave out.


Inspiration Journeys just seem too personal to pick and choose 'Best Of's, don't you agree? 


I hope that you got a huge dose of extra-curricular mojo-boosting activity on Friday, getting lots of inspiration from blogs you hadn't visited before, as well as haunting old favourites. I certainly did.


I said on Friday that I'd be looking in more detail at Belgian Style and breaking it down to make it more accessible for my home.


{While Belgian Style is totally my current Style Crush,
it's not a look I'd *actually* choose for my home.
Does that make sense?}


I love the feel of it, the mood it creates and the look of some of the images but I think my children, in particular, would find the look too austere and formal.

So I'll be doing a gorgeous series, which I can't wait to unfold for you, about how to take the very best of Belgian Style and add it, in little bits and pieces, in a way that works for YOU.


Not as a showcase for an
architect in Belgium,
but in your home and
in my home,
in our every day lives.


Today, I'm starting off with wood. It's on my list as one of the defining features of Belgian style.

Raw, untreated wood.


The lack of any paint or decoration draws attention to its natural beauty. The grain, the texture and the colour.

So, can we make this look work for you?

Is brass bold?


If you don't like the thought of bleaching and scrubbing then this isn't going to be your bag. But where there's a will there's a way, my friend. The question is: how?


Please meet your new best friends: wax, oil and matte varnish. These will give wood the look of seeming untreated but will protect your pieces from dirt and stains.

{In my case, little fingers covered with jam. Aaaargh.}


Just look at all the ideas there are here to add the warmth and tactility to your homes. Even small touches make a big difference.

chairs, trunks, shelves, worktops, floors, lamps, tables, mirrors, headboards, cupboards, baths....


You can weave untreated wood (or, at least, the impression of it) into so many looks. You don't need to limit this to Belgian Style.


In my next post, I'll be sharing how I've taken my love of untreated wood and made it work for me in my Modern Country home. I'd love to hear what you think.

Anne at Birdlike is hosting a fantastic mood board party. Fancy a peep?

Flamant, Kate Foreman, Lonny, House Beautiful, Homes & Gardens, Beautiful Kitchens, 25 Beautiful Homes, 46 Farmhouse, Anna Malin, Casaanversa, Cote De Texas, Drummonds, Living etc, House of Fraser, Homes & Gardenss, Ideal Home

I'm linking to my favourite parties listed in my sidebar.