Popular Post
Recent Post

Belgian Style: Raw Wood in our home...and an announcement....




Hello chickadees,

I'm linking up today with Laura. Here's her button for those of you who haven't had the pure pleasure of seeing her blog yet.


Photobucket


On Monday, I was very excited to start a new series on Belgian Style where I'll be revealing my inspiration images, which highlight one element at a time, before sharing how I've tried to bring in the gorgeousness to the renovation of our home, using easy-peasy steps that you can follow if you'd like.


Please remember that this series is the
antithesis of
slavishly copying the look. It's about
finding a style that suits you
in your home and in my home, and
in our every day lives.

First stop: raw wood.

{For a peep at my inspiration, click here.}

*************************************


Here are three short steps to
adding touches of Belgian Style
untreated wood
to your home.

{I've listed them in order of the impact they'll make on your house. So if this is a look you love then go for idea One. If you just fancy a hint, here and there, then you could try idea Three.}


{One: Is there raw wood in the structure of the house? If not, don't be afraid to add it.}

When we moved in to our house, there were incredibly ugly modern doors. No redeeming features at all.

We've replaced those monstrosities with stripped pine doors, which have been gently waxed to provide protection. I can't even begin to tell you what a huge difference this made to the look of the house.  


Even with the most modernernised room in our home, the bathroom, hanging a door in natural wood gave the room a new depth.


We're lucky enough to have original beams on our top floor, which we've kept exposed. I love the attic-chic look that they create up here, giving so much character to what could otherwise be a cold top-floor space.



{Idea Two: Choose furniture in its raw state, or consider stripping back to the wood for a great way to bring in a bit of Belgian bling to your home.}

We have waxed elm chairs in out dining room. If they  become stained, we just sand them down - perfect for little ones.


My grandmother's settle, tucked in the corner, is one of my favourite pieces.


Look at the gorgeous detail carved into the wood.
  


{Idea Three: Adding Accessories}

This makes least impact but is soooooo easy to implement.

Here's one of the ideas I've used from around our house.


On top of the piano, in our dining room, I've placed two lamps made from old bobbins either side of my old Singer sewing machine.


Both the base of the sewing machine and the bobbin lamps have such a beautiful grain.


The exposed wood reveals the age of these beautiful pieces.


Seeing them there, imagining their past lives, brings a smile to my face whenever I see them.

Fancy a bit of Belgian Bling? Let me know how you get on.... 


Oooh, ooooh, and guess what I have to announce?

I have an interview coming up here on Modern Country Style. When I was asked to interview Christina Strutt of Cabbages & Roses fame, I was nearly beside myself with joy.

Is there anyone who deosn't appreciate their fanastic take on vintage florals?


*silence*

I thought not. We *all* love them.


Come back and hear what Christina has to say about designing fabric, decorating with Modern Country Style (*sigh*), what makes up her perfect room...plus much more.






Photobucket